Child Support Attorney in Georgia

In Georgia, both parents of a minor child are responsible for supporting their child financially.  The amount you are responsible for is calculated based on how much you make and your ability to earn, expenses each parent pays, and who the child lives with. Child support will be determined in divorce, custody, paternity and other family law cases involving minor children.  Once an initial support order is put in place, it may only be modified if the parent seeking a change can show that circumstances have significantly changed since the original order.

Having an attorney help you with your child support case can ensure that you get an accurate and fair child support order.

Can’t Afford an Attorney?

It is always a good idea to have an attorney represent you in your child support case.  However, you may not be able to afford an attorney.  In that case, you have a couple of different options.


Option 1:  File an Petition for Support and Paternity in the Superior Court in your County.

Go to the court and ask the clerk for the forms to file a pro se divorce.  You can also use i-CAN, the online service that will help you fill in the forms you need.  You county may have different documents they want you to file, but at the very least they will require you to fill out a Petition for Support and Paternity and a Verification. 

You will also need to submit a Child Support Worksheet.  Go to the Georgia Support Commission website and follow the directions for filling out the worksheet.  If you live outside of the Atlanta area and you need help filling out the worksheet, please call the Child Support Worksheet hotline at (404) 526-8609.


Option 2: Start a case with the Division of Child Support Services

You may open a case with the Division of Child Support Services (CSS).  CSS can help with the following issues:

  • Location of the Non-Custodial Parent (NCP), for child support purposes;
  • Establishment of paternity, for child support purposes;
  • Establishment of a child support order, including medical insurance when available at reasonable cost;
  • Modification of a child support order.
  • Enforcement of a child support order, including medical support, using all applicable means;
  • Collection and distribution of amounts collected;
  • Collection of spousal support, only when included in an order for child support and the child has not been emancipated;
  • Calculate and collect interest on overdue child support pursuant to a support order originated in Georgia. Interest on orders issued outside the state of Georgia may or may not be enforced by DCSS. Refer to the Application and Assignment for Child Support Services for details.

You can reach CSS on their website ( or by calling 1-844-694-2347.